Friday, June 19, 2009

Riders on the US GP

Riders on the US GP

E-mail this page to a friend.
Friday, 21 July 2006
Heading into the US MotoGP it's no surprise to hear some fighting talk from the American riders. Colin Edwards says that if it comes down to another scrap between himself and Nicky Hayden then he knows he 'can come out on top this time'. Valentino Rossi has said 'I learnt a lot' last year - not what the locals will want to hear.

Nicky Hayden

“It’s a pretty good feeling to be leading the world going into my home race. Even though there’s a lot racing still to go and I really want to be leading the championship at the end of the season, I’m proud to go home to my fans out in front. Plus it’s a while since an American has been on top so I’m excited. But more importantly we’re going to go to Laguna and try to get 25 points.”

Valentino Rossi

"Even though I didn't know the track last year I was able to follow Nicky for many laps and then Colin too, so I learnt a lot from both of them," explains Rossi. "By the end of the race I was getting stronger and I actually set my best time on the last lap so I hope that this year we can be strong from the start and this time beat the Americans! We had some difficulties with the bike in Germany and we don't have time to make many big changes before this weekend, but hopefully the good setting we found for the race on Sunday and the data we have from last year will be enough.

"The latest modifications to the track will make a difference and we will see how they are when we get there. After last year we discussed everything with the Safety Commission and we made some more suggestions to improve the track, because really it was not at the level of the rest of the championship. It's okay for Superbikes but we are coming into the corners 40km faster, so it was necessary to make some more changes, especially at turn one. Now we have to wait to see if it is better and safer this year."

Colin Edwards

"Before Sachsenring I said that I am not hoping to win at Laguna Seca, I am expecting to win, and that remains the case," affirms Edwards, who will be in Los Angeles on Tuesday to take part in a MotoGP bike parade along Hollywood Boulevard before attending the screening of the new MotoGP movie 'The Doctor, The Tornado and The Kentucky Kid', in which he stars.

"We had our problems in Germany but we also had problems at Catalunya earlier in the season and seven days later I was fighting to win at Assen. It seems the bike that we have works at some circuits and not so well at others so, like Assen, Laguna will be a bit of a shot in the dark. One thing for sure is that I'm going to fight and barge and do whatever it takes to win. If it comes down to a scrap between the Americans, Hayden and I, then I know I can come out on top this time. Hopefully the bike will work as well as it did at Assen and if it does than I definitely won't make the same mistakes."

0 comments: